The Greatest Movies of 2009



When it comes to movies, 2009 was a pretty solid year. There were the blockbusters (Avatar, Transformers, Twilight), the surprise hit (The Hangover) and the feel good movie (The Blind Side). There was even a great horror movie in Paranormal Activity. But which were the best?

Here is a quick breakdown of my three favorite films of 2009.

Simply put, I couldn't breathe during the Hurt Locker. It was that suspenseful. The cinematography and directing in this Iraq War commentary piece is outstanding. Kathryn Bigelow did an unbelievable job and deserved to win the 2009 Academy award for Best Picture of the Year. I think the award for Best Director should have gone to someone else though...

James Cameron continues to amaze us with his incredible imagination and brilliant methods for presenting his visions to us. The 3d technology in Avatar was unlike anything I've ever seen.

Its no wonder this Avatar has become the highest grossing movie of all time. If you didn't have a chance to see Avatar, it is going to be rereleased in IMAX after the summer is over.

I can't argue with the Hurt Locker winning the big prize, but my personal favorite movie of the year was District 9.

If you didn't see it, District 9 manages to combine the story of an alien invasion in South Africa with elements of the apartheid period. It is more than just a science fiction and action movie; it is a (somewhat) realistic take on how an alien invasion could play out.

With District 9, I was constantly being surprised. It was funny at times and it was crushing at others. You're not sure who to root for and who is right at times. I think that is the point, and I can't wait to see what director Neil Blompkamp will do next.



newer post older post